Friday, October 8, 2010

In Pursuit of Victoria Holt


An old book was sitting on a shelf, gathering dusts and inviting termites to chew on its pages that have started to turn yellow.  Mama had stuffed it there a few years ago and had seemingly forgotten its existence.  The book was written by a certain Victoria Holt and its title seemed strange to me then: The Pride of the Peacock.  Who would be interested to read a few hundred pages about a peacock, right?  So I passed.


A few years later, I picked up the book out of boredom and started reading the first pages.  It was love at first read.  Josh and his ladylove invited me to their lives, took me on a journey to the outbacks of Australia, and even gave me a scare with stories of the Green Flash.





Since then I have been on the hunt for Victoria Holt books.  Unfortunately, they are kinda elusive.  It has been years now since I last found one.


The best ones are always the hardest to find.  Where in the world could they be hiding?

 

 

1 comment:

Blair McLeod said...

old obscure books can turn out to be the best!! i need to get to reading again!